Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Altec Lansing VoTs A7

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Generally at this time VOTT's, in decent shape, seem to be going for about $1200 to $1800 for a pair. The average price seems to be about $1300 to $1400. I don't know what the shipping would be but it would still be better to ship from the states if you are trying to be at all economical. Since you asked, my guess is you want good value. It is good at least that the seller did not try to lie to you about the bass.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just a thought, you might want to find the components (511, 802, 515, n500) and have a pair of cabs built for you in merry old! You would have a say in the vaneer as well and could make them look good.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Mirrophonic Sound System's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2003
    Posts
    144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Todd:

    Are you sure they are ~50-year-old originals ?

    I'm not an A7 expert but they look very much like recently made homebrews (which no one is bidding on)

    Consider the crossover, HF driver mount, newness of lumber on inside rear panel, insulation on inside bottom etc

  4. #14
    Inactive Member wilhelm406's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks again, scotty and Steve. These VoTs are
    to expensive. Shipping from the US would be to
    much hustle, i think. I should wait for another
    chance to get my hands on vintage Altecs.
    .

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    On second thought the 515's would push the price up a bit but they are still too much.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Mirrophonic Sound System's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2003
    Posts
    144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wilhelm:

    I think you are the seller...

    And your price is the most avaricious move since Hitler seized Poland forums

  7. #17
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  8. #18
    Inactive Member taudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2004
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wilhelm,

    Like the others, I think this is too expensive. I also recommend subwoofers - JBL 2235 or 2245 seem good choices for built-in subs.

    Perhaps you would like to contact Wolf Vallieur, another German member of this board, as it seems that he builds his cabinets.

    http://www.vallieur.de/wolf_boxen_2.htm

    Good luck - and let us know how it works out!

    taudo

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    >1. IF you absolutely MUST have a vintage unit, these seem to be very nice examples of it.
    ====

    Hmm, don't believe this cab was offered with the 511, though of course they could have been added to them, but then they have '70s stickers..... The damping in the bottom of the cab, the XOs and the horn's mounting would have to go too, so from a vintage POV, these don't score well in my book beyond the basic cab.

    Anyway, these are tuned way too high for his app, moving them even further away from stock.
    ====

    >4. I see something above the woofers that I cannot make out - any ideas as to what it is? It doesn't look like anything I've seen in a standard Altec-made A7/825.
    ====

    The early cabs I've seen had one of their triangular glue blocks stuck there, while later 825s have a rectangular brace all the way across, so I assume it's just a funky reflection off the sloped flat face of a glue block that makes it appear as a slot or velcro strip.

    ====

    >As for me, i like to hear my old soul, funk and
    house records again. I am looking for a high efficiency speaker system, that gives me a dynamic and precise sound with a deep and punchy bass.
    ====

    I love 515Bs, but for your app I recommend the extended BW, higher Fs/Qts 421-8H series M.I. driver and the later 828 cab design except made from 13 ply Baltic Birch or equal (know any good woodworkers that won't empty your wallet?), with 511/808-8A loaded with the higher power handling diaphragms and bi-amped with plenty of reserve power on the LF. WRT XO point/slopes, these are highly personal and room dependent, so experimentation is the rule rather than the exception IMO. If you insist on something proven, then either the stock 500 or 800Hz XO would be my choice with 421 series woofer depending on how 'forward' a sound you prefer.

    Another point often overlooked is that if a higher XO point is chosed, the high pass filter needs to be reduced for best performance. Notice the woofer slot in the picture doesn't go all the way to the horn flares like later cabs.

    Altec got cost conscious in later years and used the 500Hz LP filter for all A5-7 apps, even the late 1200Hz XO'd versions, which causes a broadband dip in the response between the two, so if you think you might prefer a higher XO point I recommend cutting out a smaller LP filter just in case.

    Since older records don't have much real bass, i.e. ~ -10dB/35Hz, stock tuning is probably fine, but wouldn't hurt trying higher/lower tunings than stock depending on the room's acoustics.

    HTH,

    GM

  10. #20
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    Hi, Mirrophonic Sound System

    I?m not talk about who?s a seller. But too many times I also have doubt some people has placed a topic here then selling there.

    I support to your thought. forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.